There are some common issues which often appear on the WordPress.org forums.
Fatal Error Message
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /xxx/xxxx/xxxx/wp-admin/menu.php on line 254
- You can increase the amount of memory allocated to php by editing your wp-config.php
A message saying something like “this user has not uploaded their website yet” is appearing instead of the WordPress site
- You probably have an index.html which was put there by your hosting company as an initial default page. The server is serving this as the default document instead of WordPress’s default index.php.
If there is an index.html, delete it or rename it to old_index.html by connecting to the files using an FTP client application such as filezilla or a file management function in your hosting control panel.
Lost Admin Password
Password recovery is not working
- If you have ftp or hosting control panel access, the emergency password reset script may be the most straightforward solution.
Something Weird is Happening
Something which was fine previously is now not working or displaying properly
- You can find out if a plugin is causing something unexpected to happen by temporarily deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the issue. If the problem does not occur with all plugins deactivated, re-activate the plugins one by one checking the site after each one until you find which plugin is causing the issue.
If you cannot get to access the admin menu you can reset the plugins folder using PHPmyAdmin or FTP.
What to do about a hacked site?
If you have had your site flagged up by your hosting company or google as having been hacked or you notice extra links or an iframes on your site which you did not put there.
A lot of reading, but these links should be helpful
Backing up a WordPress site
- WordPress self hosted software is not the same as WordPress.com. See: http://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org
I often receive requests from people who need a more personalised service than can be provided on the WordPress.org forums. Please only contact me with such requests if you understand that I have to charge for my time.
Please request a quote if you are interested hiring me for WordPress consultancy.